PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Uniform - What do you think?
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2006, 05:05
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whenever the talk gets round to uniform matters, as it inevitably does, I always think that uniform should be practical and equip the wearer for the proper performance of their duties.

One is reminded of Chief Technician Frank Parson's comment, when challenged on the 'flyaway' style (as preferred by most 1950/60's Chiefies) of his headgear, that "berets is fer keepin' the oil outta yer 'air." Frank of course generally sported black wellington boots, a brown dustcoat with custom built aluminium C/T arm badges rivetted to the sleeves and tied round the middle with a sisal string 'belt.' A paragon of practicality that would have confounded any enemy sniper.

I think the Air Marshal looks quite dapper - with that natty hat he'd certainly never be mistaken for either a civilian or a common or garden Lieutenant General. The return of spats is only to be welcomed as they keep the water out of the brogues when out shooting. I do also like the way he has his sleeves rolled up as a gentleman. I squirm when ever I see officers with their sleeves rolled up workman fashion above the elbow. Its just so common.