PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to give up
Thread: When to give up
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2006, 22:12
mad_bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whirlybird
If you're the sort of person for whom things have come fairly easily, who's usually been successful, and whose usual reaction to difficulty is to grit your teeth and redouble your efforts, flying can come as a real shock, because that sort of effort doesn't work.
Wow! Have we met? This certainly sounds like me. My normal reaction when things don't go as planned is to curse roundly, thump something, and try again with gritted teeth. While this approach has served me well on many occasions, I've found that it usually doesn't work for things that really matter. I wouldn't be approaching flying this way if it weren't for my budgetary constraints. The problem is that it's difficult to chill out when you're burning money this rapidly and not seeming to make any progress, if you see what I mean.

I am certainly willing to investigate forms of flying that allow more airtime per pound spent.

Originally Posted by Mad Girl
Now I've got the totally over the top, emotional and enthusiastic reply out of the way I'll put my practical hat on.......

Take a look at this....

http://www.oldsarumflyingclub.co.uk/...42_pricing.asp
I'd be very happy to fly something like this, if I could fit in it, and still have room for an intructor and fuel. But with a maximum load of about 30st (if I understand correctly), I'd be looking for an instructor in the 8st region, or very frequent fuel stops, I think. I know I can't fit in a Cessna 152, and my understanding is that most microlight aircraft are smaller than that. Or am I misunderstanding something? I'd be very happy to be misunderstanding, because this is the (only) kind of flying I could probably afford on a long-term basis.