PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easy Lgw
Thread: Easy Lgw
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2006, 15:59
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I concur with Flaps One regarding easyJet at Gatwick. I have worked there the whole time I have been at easyJet and basically enjoy what I do. There are 2 key frustrations - car parking and ground handling.

Car parking is slowly being attacked and some people are now getting better slots instead of Camp X-ray. There is no easy answer to the problem but we are getting there. I, alas, am still awaitng an invitation to new parking arrangments - but such is life.

Regarding ground handling, we have somehow conspired to employ the least efficient ground handling agent in the history of aviation, who can consistently guarantee the slowest turn rounds in all circumstances. Not only that, when you arrive back last think at night, and you have anything less than a twenty minute wait for someone to operate the airbridge or bring buses to the aircraft, you have been short-changed! The most basic facilities - such as staff to meet the aircraft, ground power that works, chocks under the wheels, passengers at the gate, bags in the hold on time etc, seem just too much for them to deal with. The only saving grace is, because the situation is so potentially ruinous to the business, our top managers are now onto the issue in a big way. I have no doubt that some drastic changes will be in the offing before next summer as we simply cannot continue with the current shambles. We somehow need to tranport these guys to Amsterdam or Cologne to see how turnarounds can be done with no hassle and lots of efficiency.

Notwithstanding the above, easyJet Gatwick offers an enormously wide variety of routes, brand new aircraft, great people and the sport of operating in a really busy ATC environment. People who have worked elsewhere in the network say Gatwick is the 'hardest' base and I will bow to their better judgement. As one who only gets let out occasionally to fly elsewhere, I know no different and actually quite enjoy it.

For life at Gatwick, the future is bright - the future is orange!