PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots who went on strike let go by PHI
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2006, 14:02
Decks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a former PHI pilot who now flies for CHC in Ireland. I want to offer our support from the helicopter pilots union in Ireland. 5 years ago we moved to form a union and while the enviroment for such a move is much better in Ireland it was a nervy move for those involved. The results have been very favourable and the terms and conditions of our pilots, and their say in their own affairs have dramatically improved.

When I was at PHI I signed my union card and attended the meetings at the back of various secret hotels. The terms and conditions and the way management treats pilots in GOMEX is a world away from the way it happens here and we still get the job done ok. This is not entirely due to the union but they play a major role.

I am bewildered at the actions of some of the pilots who are strike breaking. They are quite simply idiots. At PHI, I (1700hrs) spent my first week after finishing training based 100 miles offshore and was way out of my depth...I dont think I slept the whole week. I simply would not not ride in the back of an L model with a 500hr pilot up front.

To all the pilots who did not take the soup... stick to your guns and keep your morals. Then you will always have the higher ground.

PS To Jack B...I wont put my name on here but a big hello to you.C.