PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - promotion qualifications for `FA's in different airlines?
Old 30th Oct 2001, 17:42
flyblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flaps, I have briefly explained on the BA thread, but I'll try to be more specific.
In AF, with a 4 years seniority, you can apply to become Chef de Cabine. You must have a level "4" in English (on a 5 points scale) plus another language. If you are not French you must have at least a "4" in French too. If your application is accepted, you are given more or less a cubic meter in manuals and books that you must study for the exam. If you pass, after a course, you are usually sent to Short Haul (A319,320,321 and B737) to be Chef de Cabine (=Purser). You can also ask to be on hold for a position in Long Haul, but it takes longer.
After more or less 2 years, if you want you can go to Long Haul. In Long Haul Fleet there is a CCP + a CC on the A/C with only 2 classes (A310 and B767, but AF is getting rid of those machines), and CCP+ 2 CC on the A340, B777, B747-200-300-400. Where there is only one CC, he/she works in Y while CCP works (?) in J. In the bi-class one CC works in Y, one in J (they usually change on the I/B) and the CCP "supervises" the P class.
After 3 years seniority as CC, you can apply to become CCP.
For Concorde it is a different story. You must have 2 years seniority to apply as a C/A, and a minimum level of English 4. If your application is accepted, you have to pass an exam to evaluate your skills and abilities. If you pass, you are rostered 2 months on the Concorde and one on the normal LH, because of the physical effects of supersonic flight. During your Concorde month you usually work 10 days over 30. There is no CCp, just one CC who has to apply on the above mentioned way.
The procedures seem more complicated in your Company, but they sure grant more than in AF that you are worth your promotion. What do you think about it?

The A340 has 6P, 42J,204Y. It is used mostly over Asian and African routes. B777 has 12P, 56J, 202Y and is used mostly over asian and american routes. The B747 varies following type, but let's say the most common have 13P, 58J and 321Y (the ones used over Caribbean routes have differen classes and carry more load)and are used mostly over asian and american routes.
The new A330 will be delivered soon, but I have no idea what they will use it for or which figures they will have.

[ 30 October 2001: Message edited by: flyblue ]