PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tips for the perfect landing?
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2006, 08:47
Mike Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't believe everything you're being told on here. In particular don't try flying a fast approach and letting it float, that's a recipe for a bounce, a bust noseleg and prop and a shock-loaded engine.

There isn't a "right" approach speed for every situation, however the speeds in the POH are definitely the right starting point. Here are a few examples where you might depart slightly from them.

1. Sunny day. Trees on the approach are likely to cause sink, a ploughed field is likely to cause lift, causing you to move the approach speed a couple of knots up or down so you get to the numbers at the right speed.
2. Strong headwind. The headwind will reduce as you near the ground, causing your IAS to reduce and your arrival to be too slow, again you may anticipate by adding a couple of knots to the approach.
3. Loading. A lightly loaded aircraft needs less speed on the approach. Remember the book figures are usually calculated on still air and at or near MAUW.
4. Runway slope. You'll lose a lot more energy in the flare if the runway is sloping uphill and a lot less if it is sloping away from you. Yesterday I landed at Oaksey Park where the threshold of 11 has a significant upslope and the approach is over a valley. Bags of power needed to be added to prevent plummeting. On an uphill runway don't take all the power off until you are flying parallel to the runway with your wheels a couple of feet above it. By contrast you can have a lot of fun watching people trying to land on 03 at Popham. This has high trees on the approach and a downslope but it is quite long. Some people float for ever and eventually go around when they've used up two thirds of the available length and still haven't found the ground.

When you find a sure-fire recipe for making the perfect landing please let me know so I can do them too.

Mike