PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND
Thread: SOUTHEND
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2006, 07:52
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HZ 123

I doubt that many 'threaders' on this topic are unaware of SEN's limiting runway - indeed, much discussion has taken place here on that very point.

It is certainly a fact that when RAL reconfigured the runway to meet current CAA RESA requirements, they had expected to be able to offer slightly greater distances than has proved to be the case in that they had anticipated that B737 operations would be commercially feasible. Despite my fervent hope that Flybe may make SEN a hub, the restricting runway has certainly put something of a spoke in the wheel as the EMB-195 will be significantly performance limited - perhaps so much so as to make it's operation at SEN impractical.

SEN are now trying to make a virtue of the short runway by suggesting that it will protect regional cariers' routes from predation by the likes of Ryanair. True, but only useful if the regionals' aircraft themselves are not excessively payload limited as well.

That's one of the reasons I stated in my last post that "pessimism is one thing and perfectly valid", so how about also answering the questions I posed you in that posting for our general enlightenment?