PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2006, 13:11
chc&proud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No guts, no glory

Life is simple. If you work hard to get somewhere, the chances of moving in the right direction increases.

Some of the pilots posting on this thread seem to me to suffer from something resembling a defeatist syndrome. You have given up without trying, or you just do not see any point in trying. Of course, I do not blame any of you for feeling the way you do, as this is your prerogative. It's just sad that you do not see how easy it would be to start working on a constructive agenda.

This reminds me of my time in the GOM with PHI back in 87-88, when US ALPA unsuccessfully tried to organise the pilots of AirLog and PHI. Lots of pilots refused to show official interest in having a pilot union established. It took years and lots of hard work before the pilots of AirLog PHI finally got organised through OPEIU.

Since then both the pilots of AirLog and PHI have made significant improvents to their labor contracts.

As you surely are aware of, our colleagues are right now in the middle of the most important battle of their lives. They are fighting for fair terms and conditions. In addition they are fighting for the survival of their young union, Local 108.

Success does not come easy. Establishing a pilots union inherently is risky business, if the corporation is hostile towards employee representation.

Questions:
  1. Are the pilots in Nigeria stuck in their positions, with nowhere to go?
  2. Are you scared of losing your jobs and become unemployed if you push for improvement?