PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to give up
Thread: When to give up
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2006, 10:26
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Yes, I think that Ransflyer is right.

Microlighting is often misunderstood. Many people think it's dangerous (only if you are), about flying the lightest thing possible (only if you want to), or about flying the simplest rag-and-tube aeroplanes (it can be, but needn't).

Microlight flying is about flying as cheaply as possible, with the minimum restrictions on you - if budget is limited, you've no intention to become an airline pilot, and you just want to have as much fun as possible airborne, then flying a microlight is the way ahead.

I'm not going to provide anybody with free advertising, but I just looked up the website of a well know microlight school an hour's drive from London. It's helpfully very detailed about costs, although I suspect not the cheapest.

Full training, club, equipment, examination etc. : this comes out at £3,447 for a full licence course.

£1,777-£3,650k buys you a share in an aeroplane looked after by them + £20/month syndicate costs once you've got you licence, + £39/hr for your flying.

So, going for the cheaper aeroplane (a Cyclone AX3 - slow and ugly, but easy and pleasant to fly), your £6k would cover your licence course (okay, assuming you do it in minimum hours), a share in an aeroplane, another year of fixed running costs on the aeroplane, and another 13 flying hours.

Add £2k, and you can either have your own aeroplane outright, or buy a share in something that'll probably outperform what you've been learning on so far...

Or you could, with care, go a few grand cheaper - learning and continuing to fly something older and more basic (but I hasten to add, equally safe) and spend what's left over on even more flying.

G