PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet A319 Complete Loss of Electric Power?
Old 24th Sep 2006, 09:37
nonemmet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can confirm what AndyPandy says although I believe the crew only spoke to the tower by phone once they were on the ground, having made unsuccessful attempts whilst airborne.

I can also add, G-EZAC departed Alicante for Bristol with a u/s No1 generator, using the APU iaw the MEL. When the failure occurred (APU went off line amongst other things!), just North of Brest, the crew elected to continue to Bristol, even though the runway was not ideal, because with no radios and a diversion off their flight planned route………… The incident occurred on Sep 15th and is recorded in WINBASIS as an Essential AC bus failure, although the only electrical power available was from AC2, DC2 and the battery. AC essential could not be recovered, and as Dani says airbus training does not cover actions in the event of no power from the DC essential bus – because it can’t happen! A/C was grounded until Sep 21st ( AAIB and Airbus involved) by which time a huge amount of electrical components had been replaced. No reason for the failure has yet been found, or at least reported, but the aircraft is back in service.

As reported by 2Dmoon, the effect of the failure was similar in some ways to the BA A319 incident in Oct 05 where all screens except the lower ECAM display (SDU) were lost. In the EZY case the F/Os PFD and ND were also powered, although may have been in a degraded mode.

Post the BA A319 incident the AAIB recommended that the MMEL should be changed so that despatch is no longer permitted with the lower ECAM u/s.
The MMEL has yet to be changed to reflect the AAIB recommendation, and still permits despatch with either SDU, ND2 or PFD2 u/s.

However, how many Captains will now accept an aircraft with a display unit u/s?

Last edited by nonemmet; 24th Sep 2006 at 23:10.