PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2006, 05:52
chc&proud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HSE - silly concept?

I sense animosity, anger or frustration directed at the "silly" concept of HSE?

That is sad, considering that the customers organisations increasingly take HSE very seriously, and so do all of us in the Norwegian sector. Using the correct communication tools inside the system it's easy to see how working conditions in Nigeria could improve significantly.

Staying in touch with customer representatives who are familiar with the region, I know they go to some length to take care of their people in the field.

The problem for the employees of the helicopter operators in Nigeria seems to be that they have no formal voice in the system.

A cooperative effort in Norway, based on factors related to HSE led to the introduction of the S92. By May next year a total of at least 9 AC will be flying in Norway. In addition air condition was introduced on 1 new L2.

The parties cooperating are:
* The oil companies
* The offshore oil workers unions
* NALPA
* The oil companies national association
* N-CAA

The same cooperative effort have also in part led to the introduction of controlled airspace, radar, improved safety equipment and training.
It seems to me the only way forward for the guys and girls in Nigeria is to join hands, the same way the vast majority of people in CHC Europe, Bristows etc. have done.