PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to give up
Thread: When to give up
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2006, 00:17
ChampChump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always, always heed what J.A.F.O. advises above: Whirly's right.
I have nothing wise to add to that already said, but would like to add my 2d's worth anyway. Since you've indicated you've always wanted to fly, I think that once you get past the feeling that in four hours you haven't learnt anything, you'll probably become so absorbed you just won't notice that it gets into the blood and under the fingernails and - oops - there you are - totally addicted.
Few of us can afford it. We just find ways of doing it. Gliding, motor gliding, shares in a Permit aeroplane, microlights...exploiting new friends (yes, they come with the package and they're free) are but a few examples that come to mind. It might not be easy if you have family commitments, but casual conversations with colleagues at work suggest that we all have different perceptions of what is necessary for the soul once the body is supported - and what we are prepared to pay. Those with a passion, whether it be for fishing, golf or jet skiing, seem to do more on less and are happier for it. Unscientific and simplistic, I know, but I suspect you're already headed in this direction and you know it.
It took me about forty glider flights to acquire four hours and I had a wide selction of instructors to boot. I was probably too stupid to analyse it, but if I had, I'd have not reached a more settled learning phase which led, over the years, to where I am now: plenty of time logged and still as daft as a brush, but with fond memories of each phase of my flying. It all just grew, like Topsy.
What's a little odd is that when I began, I coudn't really afford the gliding lessons. Now I can't really afford the Avgas. Curious, 'cos I've been flying throughout.
Please spend a bit more money then come back to us.