PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are there so little cockpit announcements?
Old 23rd Sep 2006, 22:54
Michael111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I Love announcements from the flight deck. I would love a commentry from brakes off to brakes on.

Let me explain: I was on a British Midland flight from Jersey to Birmingham in the early 1990's that shut an engine down (DC9) in mid flight. No announcements made, Why were all the Fire services meeting us on arrival? A few years later ( October 2000) I was on a flight that left LGW bound for JER that never made it due to horrendous conditions that were in the area at the time. Flight crew told us that we were diverting to SOU but we crash Landed at Bournmouth. 6 Months later I was returning to JER from America via LGW when an engine failed on a 146 out of LGW. Comms on this occasion from the Capt was excellent.

Let me fast forward to 8 Sept 06. My Family & I were comming back to LGW from Paphos (PHO) with GB airways. The Captain was fantastic, Introducing himself whilst standing in the aisle, making regular in flight announcements whilst on route and welcoming us to LGW on arrival. This Captain allowed my kids on to the flight deck prior to departure and I have the photos to prove it.

After all of my incidents whilst flying, (over 200 flights with BA in the last 3 years) a Captain like the one from PFO to LGW would help me relax. Please all you Captains talk to your passangers as much as you can.

Thanks

Michael