PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orlando Flight Training
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2006, 15:16
oscar charlie 7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been an instructor in the UK for almost ten years. I know we all have the reputation for being very snobby when it comes to American flight training but this is not the case.

If you are intending on flying in the UK then the best place for you to do any licence is in the UK. Likewise, if you are intending on flying in the USA then the States is the place to do your licence.

I have only heard bad things from students at OFT. One came back having been bullied close to tears to sit her licence after the appropriate 45 hours had elapsed. Another said that the aircraft she did her first solo in had no back to the seat! A lot of these schools claim you will be guaranteed your licence / rating in the minimum hours. Seems to good to be true? It is! For example, the average PPL in the UK is 55 hours and it seems amazing that in these flight schools, everyone sits their test at 45 hours? Did they all reach solo standard at the same time??

Anyway, not to be too depressing on the ole American system - I have only heard good things about the Californian and Texan flight schools. Avoid Florida like the plague (in my humble opinion)