PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Verbal response to squawk code issuance?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2006, 14:10
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spitoon - spot on.
UK gentlemen, I was taught that that you must NEVER readback "ident" quite in line with the ICAO wording above. Before I started flying over the La Manche ( couldn't resist, that's the way we call it. Sorry.) I downloaded CAP 413 and still use it as a reference but the number of differences is quite high.
For instance, if I understand correctly, in UK controlled airspace the requirement is to identify mode C only once. I.e. After transfer from one controller to another (the second and onwards) in climb or descent I do not need to report level passing. This would be a MAJOR sin anywhere else.
The "ident", "after/behind", "go-ahead/pass your message", "degrees, altitude", "hudreds (FL)", "holding points", "SID names" issues do have reasons and I am sure very good ones. A lot of these could be adopted elsewhere, but they are not and on occasions we are trained to the exact opposite.
Bless you for your pampering us, bless your regulator for issuing 413 and making it available free of charge to world (Although I wish it had a little chapter at the end called "icao differencies summary for aliens". For christmas that is.), yet many pilots enjoy fancier pleasures than studying ATC fora on-line. You see...
FD
(the un-real)