PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF "Utterly, Utterly, Useless" in Afghanistan
Old 23rd Sep 2006, 14:09
Flatus Veteranus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazer-Hound
IMHO this thread is missing the point. There's far too much debate on whether this Major was right to put his views into emails and not nearly enough on why he should hold these views in the first place. The real question is, what are the RAF doing wrong to make him feel they are "utterly, utterly useless" and what are USAF doing right for him to feel they're "fantastic", and what should be changed to make him feel that the RAF are "fantastic" too.

This guy is on the ground, leading troops, in daily contact with the enemy. He's entitled to his opinions. The question is, how does the RAF change them?
I think you speak the truth, L-H. In fact a BBC reporter in Afghanistan said the Major's view of the RAF was widely expressed among army officers out there. I expect the lack of a gun may have something to do with it, and the gentleman who expressed the opinion in Post #37 on this thread that Harriers are better off without a gun (as it is safer to stay higher and lob in bombs and rockets) may have illustrated why the grunts prefer to call in A10s.

Can anyone say whether cluster bombs are still avilable? When I did AWC they were the weapon of choice in tight defensive situations. I suppose they have been withdrawn on humanitarian grounds - although, if you read Kippling, mercy is a scarce commodity amongst the tribesmen/women of Afghanistan.

Perhaps a joint commission of enquiry could sort out the facts from the bigotry and lance this boil before it festers. I must say the RAF's restraint so far has been exemplary (or are we to expect leaks of blistering light blue emails?)