PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2006, 13:14
212man

Received 333 Likes on 185 Posts
CHC & P,
to answer some of your points (as I see it).

Bear in mind, also, that not every one wants to have to live where they work. Being on a touring operation gives you the option to pretty much live where you want, rather than having to live in Aberdeen or Bergen etc.

On your specific points:

1. I would say that the facts are facts, and I don't see anyone making exagerations. What you are seeing though is the condensing of many people's exeperiences from over a long period. If you are the unfortunate soul in the mininbus that gets sprayed with submachine gun fire, you will obviously view things differently to the guys that weren't. If you are one of the unfortunate souls who had their helicopters attacked and became a hostage, you will obviously have a different view than the others. So it goes on.

The operations are all different and present different challenges. If you only work on one operation you will have a different perspective on 'life in Nigeria' to guys who work on the other operations, or the other companies.

2. Some of those points are true. Many of the pilots (now) don't have JAR licences and so cannot work for the big North Sea operators. I'm not sure about the work permit situation, but certainly the majority are no longer European. You will also find that intra-company movement back to European operations is difficult, because the International divisions don't want to lose pilots!

3. Well, some pilots do enjoy working there!