PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - time to 1st solo rotary
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2006, 08:42
bvgs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the end of the day you may be a quick learner or a slow one. My daughter took ages to ride her bike without stabalisers, does that mean she should have given up and walked everywhere? We all have different fears, capabilities, strengths and weaknesses, it is up to the instructors to find all of these and train accordingly. I took over 80 hours to get my ppl(h) in an R22, went solo at around 25 hours, really didn't like it, waited another 10 before going again. I'm 45 and if I had been 18 I'm sure it would have been much quicker. I drive my motorbike quite differently now than I did when I was 18 so age does make you cautious. I asked my instructor if I should quit as I had read many articles about time to solo, time to test etc. He laughed and said that he only had 2 people in his career that he told to stop(20 years instructing).

My advise for what its worth is to see your ppl(h) as your end goal, all elements that take you there including exams should be at your own rate and that might mean that you take longer than average or be super quick. Remember how they get to an average! Fly safe everyone.