PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Training College, Waterford, Ireland
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 20:19
FL179

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ongoing Dispute with PTC

Hi Folks,

Let me tell you why I personally think people shouldn't make pre-payments to PTC.

I enrolled for a quick BFR and they charged my credit card for the full amount of the estimated cost of the flights €700. After ringing up a few days prior and having difficulty getting hold of my assigned instructor (who actually sounded quite sharp) I was told "Thursday would be better" than than the Wed I had booked. I agreed and turned up on Thurs.

I then discovered arrived to the sly comment "oh, he's here today" (comment #2 after hello). Needless to say, I was somewhat dissappointed that the airport was fogged in for the day and agreed with the instructor that the best course of action was to return to Dublin.

This was the travel expenses, B&B etc down the chute but something you learn to accept when you fly. However, what happened next shocked me. Mike Edgeworths relation (son?), George told me I had forfeitted the €700 as I had terminated training and I wasn't getting any refund! He appeared determined to hold onto the money fiercely until I pushed the issue. I had returned to work in Dublin because the flights were cancelled due to weather and didn't have any days off to go down again soon.

After many emails and phone calls (i.e. I'm not going to forget about this) I got in touch with Mike who finally agreed to refund €500 but wanted to keep €200 for setting up the "course" for me (as if they did 5 hours preparation at their rate of €40/hour for a quick BFR).

I'm not really concerned about the money but really feel I've been taken advantage of PTC. I'm going to presue it further with the Consumer Association and Small Claims Court if necessary but just my personal advise to other students is PAY AS YOU GO!! Only deposit enough funds with any school to cover the next flight.

Mike Edgeworth has been diplomatic and did return my call as requested but I feel they are keen to "hold onto" the money as best they can.

I feel quite hard done by and have never had this experience before.

David