PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF "Utterly, Utterly, Useless" in Afghanistan
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 18:23
The Otter's Pocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What most people seem to forget in the media is that these e-mails are from somebody who is there in the thick of it.

Those comments about a single "junior officer" to me sound quite disparaging. If he is a Colonel, Major or 2Lt he has earned his commission and his integrity should not be questioned.
It is unfortunate that his e-mails have ended up in the media, however he is there and knows exactly what is happening in his area of responsibilty.

It is unfortunate that he feels let down by the RAF and I am sure if he was to meet the jocks of the local Sqn he would know exactly how serious and professional they take their job.

However I feel that he must be forgiven for his comments for two reasons,
The liason between the RAF and Army has been for years neglected and only recently have all ranks begun to understand the importance of the all arms battle.
Secondly, how often have posts been started by members of the RAF regarding the procurement and armament of a/c. The Harrier amongst other things is a Ground Support a/c. It doesn't have a gun and cannot straff, this is a great moral booster for the Toms especially when the jets cannot drop.
A possibility why he would rather have the A10.

It is great that the gloves are finally being allowed off and the ROE have been changed by the politicians and their sycophantic lackeys, to allow troops to take on the Taliban.

Give him a break, we all know it is a difficult job and his e-mails may have been picked and edited by the media.

Last edited by The Otter's Pocket; 22nd Sep 2006 at 18:55.