PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smoking in the flight deck
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 17:10
bobdbuilder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you do if you fly with a captain that smokes ? some are kind enough to ask to light a cig up, but let us get real, if you do refuse, it woulld only make things worse. Afterall, not getting one's nicotine fix could constitute a threat to safety.

Concordino,
be assured that there are many first officers that are in your same position. I am a first officer myself and initially I used to let captains smoke as I was still a beginner and not sure how common this problem was on my airline.

However there came a time when I could not accept this anymore. What I did was simple. When a captain asked me if he could light up a cig I started telling them that I would only "allow" one cig an hour in my presence. They used to react strangely at first, almost incredulous, but when they really tought about it they found out it was a fair system. Slowly, the captains got used to me and today they make sure to indicate to me the time when they light up the cig.

Like this, I do not get continuous smoke for the duration of the flight and the captain gets his nicotine every hour. A nice balance i say.

I dont know which airline you work with but my airline is quite small (15 a/c) so it was easier for the captains to get used to me. In a larger airline this would be much harder.