PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Verbal response to squawk code issuance?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 13:35
Hiro Protagonist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by loubylou
Sadly there are lot of pilots who seem to be unaware of these madatory read backs, and from what I have gathered from various friends, there seems to be no emphasis on R/T disipline in terms of what is to be read back, and indeed how it is to be readback (often heard - " line up rwy blah, pause,2,3, after the landing type")
Ah well
louby
I think this hits the nail on the head... I know that the standard is to read back all instructions given by atc (I try! ), but as pilots, many of us don't really know exactly what "ident" (for instance) means... I think it makes my "blip", uh... "flash" or something, but the only radar scope I've seen is Figure 4-5-2 in the AIM, and it's just gobbledegook to me. I would have thought that an ident without readback might be fairly acceptable as my discreet code should be there (assuming I have one), but now I know better.

If you have time, most pilots will probably learn from instruction ("You know, xxyy, it really helps us if you read back ident instructions, ident instructions, airspeeds, etc...") We might remember to do it next time.