PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 13:33
planecrazy.eu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never intended to state an ATPL is as good, or better than a degree in most cases. But if you take a look at thses new degree that lead to atpl.

You have BCUC, 3 years at Uni, studying ATPL modules and not alot else, so they are handing out a Degree for simply just doing an ATPL course.

I know that maybe you scroggs can answer this?

Who would you rather pic:

1) Airline Transport Pilot Degree with ATPL (3 years study of ATPL)
2) Integrated ATPL (14-16 months study)

I dont want to do the course down, but i do think that the degree holds no real value appart from its from a Uni.

I had a place at one of these ATPL and Degree schemes, i decided that it would be better to do an Engineering Degree and Modular ATPL's over three years, that way i get what i consider a "real" degree.

At the moment i am leaning towards stop dreaming of getting a degree and just getting the job i have wanted for as long as i can remember and just take the chance and go integrated and hope an Airline wants me.

So far i have found that OAT, FTE and CAT are strict about maths and physics A levels when applying for Airline Schemes, not the normal integrated schemes though. CTC "prefer" maths and physics but weather it makes a different is not know to me, all i know is that CTC dont recognise the BTEC Diplomas as 3 a'levels.

I am willing to jump to get on a scheme, i am taking Maths, Physics as well as Y1 of my Degree, if next summer i get though on a scheme if there are any around i will go for it, if i get rejected i will just do Y2 of Uni and try again the year after, if its No again i will do Y3 at uni and have a serious look at where i am going wrong or what i am doing wrong.