PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Federation (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 09:17
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by nigegilb
Chug, I absolutely admire your defence of the status quo
Nige, after what you and others have revealed on this thread, the last thing I wish for is the status quo! I am profoundly shocked and saddened at what I have read, and agree absolutely that things must change dramatically. It seems to me that the RAF (I don't and can't speak for the other services, but would be interested to hear if their situation is as dire) needs root and branch reform. Indeed I would go so far as to suggest a total rebuild! Another Lord Trenchard must be found who believes in Air Power and the existence of an Independent Air Force. I say this because, in the main, the other two services have never fully accepted that, and in these times of stringent cuts would happily devour it to satisfy their own needs. People, especially brave noble people, look after their own. BA BALPA reps shafted us because we were outsiders. The only people who can and must defend the existence of the RAF, full time, are its Staff Officers. They are instead letting it whither by neglect. Someone has to step forward and change that, wouldn't you agree CAS?
I quite understand the anger and bitterness that you allude to, I would feel the same, I am sure. But the solution to these ills must lie in the hands of the very people who have been found wanting in the higher command, they must be sacked and replaced if necessary, and quickly. By all means form your association, but it will always be ancillary to the urgent need to reform the Chain of Command, all of whose functions have an operational effect, be it Money, Mail or Meals!
Nige, please urge your newly retired friend to add to this debate. I am, as all can see, an ancient BOF, and what is needed is up to date testimony. That is not to betray the service, that has already been done by those in command, but to lift the lid on this putrid mess prior to cleaning it out!