PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tassie gets Multilaterated!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 08:11
Dick N. Cider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tassie Multilat - 18 groundstations which will provide significant enhancements to the Launceston "temporary" radar. The data will be fed into TAAATS but it's my understanding that it won't be integrated into the TSAD displays in Launy and Hobart. Was going to be but that was based upon a business case for sales O/S. No-one wants it now. Distinct possibility that the Melbourne based sectors will be able to see into the circuit but the towers won't.

Even with the TSAD available at locations with good radar coverage the towers are not allowed to use it for separation. It's an "...aid to developing situational awareness". Cuts out a lot of requests for reports - you wait until the aircraft is where you need the report and then make a single request. If they get rid of the Launy radar then presumably they'll have to supplement the towers. Even if all that comes off they still can't use it for surveillance services until the tower dudes have had some pseudo-radar approach training. I wouldn't be holding my breath.

"Identification terminated - contact tower..."