PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Racism in South African Aviation as a whole
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 07:33
Afriviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racism in South Africa exists in the minds of most people although it’s no longer a government policy. Historically the white person has been superior to the black person and still is economically etc. There is therefore an evident power gradient that exists. In my opinion therefore a black person cannot be racist in these circumstances. The term racism emanated from this power differential which the more powerful abused leading to the demise of the inferior.

I do understand that there might be fundamental realities e.g cultural background, values etc that we cannot all mingle as different races. I don’t have a problem with that. Where racism hurts the most in South African Aviation and other sectors is where you had these policies for years and then suddenly expect the “inferior” to automatically ascend to the same level of the “superior” without an intervention. There has to be a mechanism to get these previously disadvantaged people to a level where they can be expected to compete for the limited resources.

Now I am going to make a controversial statement and say anyone who does not agree with this, is certainly happy to see the status quo remain and in my view is therefore racist.