PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security (Merged) - Effects on Crew/Staff
Old 21st Sep 2006, 06:40
I-FORD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting thread, expecially when the posters are bending over backwards trying to demonstrate that pilots are no different from any other so must endure the same security crap.
The family that disappears and the ensuing blackmail letter is the best of all!
Most of the security measures are aimed at people that want to take control of an aircraft to use it as a weapon, like they did on 9-11.
That's why security confiscates nail files, screwdrivers etc...
As many pilots tried to explain they don't need any tool to achieve that goal, that's why they are different, but stone headed security worshippers won't understand, not even shooting that concept in their heads with a gun.
Another thing that they don't grasp is that most of the world doesn't apply the same security measures as you have in UK.
In the last month I overflew UK in almost all of my USA-bound flights, with my toothpaste with me.
Same applies to almost all of the european carriers, so you have half of the flights over your airspace (the ones that originated in UK) VERY safe (no toothpaste) while the other half where really unsafe (toothpaste still in the hands of crews and passengers).
I think it's due time you and your government came back to reality.