PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security (Merged) - Effects on Crew/Staff
Old 20th Sep 2006, 22:25
mfaff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Desperate,

You raised some very good points...and you are right we have a shared aim.

The real issue is that nowhere did I make the link between getting thro security as a 'fake' crew and actually taking an aircraft. Others, including yourself made it and implied that is what I meant. So far from back tracking and changing the goals posts, my scenario was to point out that assumptions made by others were some how inherent to my original post. Not true, whilst I said they were 'fully tooled up to fly' did you ever stop to consider that it is part of their 'crew' disguise...like the uniforms, like the IDs....

Brakedwell made a point that gathering a 'couple of pilots and a dozen cabin crew' was impossible...with the assumption that all they intended to do was to 'take an aircraft'. I retorted that fewer in number could be gathered to pass as 'say a 146 crew'...would Jonny Jobsworth on security be able to challenge that, should he have reason to be suspicious of this crew? Possibly not.

I also attempted to remind people that 'its not possible' has been proven all too possible too often to make that notion an extremely dangerous one, again the example quoted serves that purpose.

You are right that there are too many gotchas, both air and land side that would mean it's highly unlikely that a fake crew could actually take an aircraft.

The issue of this thread is however getting thro the security barrier. And it's the tone adopted by many here that they, as aircrew, ATCOs and others, should not be subject to the treatment they receive at the 'common security' points to airside. They imply..and others have said it more directly, that their 'status' as evidenced by an ID card and a uniform should enable them to be treated differently than the others. I have pointed out that it is far too easy to defeat that.

IDs, even those that are time sensitive, pin-defined are all able to be defeated...the systems that create them are avaliable and can therefore be abused. Gaining that information, and from there being able to find counters to it is not particularly difficult. Again I illustrated the fact that the knowledge is there...being used by many people, it is not a highly confidential matter.

If those same people want to be treated differently, hopefully with greater consideration to their role and with greater consistency, then the best way may be to make sure they are checked in a different fashion, preferably in a different place, by differently trained security staff. Again the aim here is to add a 'gotcha' and close a potential weakness.

In your scenario you have made another assumption...that the fake crew, once thro security, will remain as a group, with the same appearance. Simply removing a jacket, losing a tie, rolling up one's sleeves, a pair of glasses, letting your hair down in the case of a lady and the 'impression' one leaves is completely different...and the crew 'vanishes' in plain sight. And none of this is unreasonable...its not a fantasist world, influenced by too many films...

Much of your 'instinct' then is unusable. Your detailed list of crew bus drivers, dispatchers and so forth is interesting but then potentially irrelevant.

As for the 'increasing crescendo'..interesting coming from somebody whose opening line was a possibly strident 'you don't have the faintest idea'...followed by an accusation of posting 'ignorant nonsense'....and concluded by 'get a some sleep and a reality check'. The overall tone was one of dismissive contempt for somebody who, in your opinion, could not possibly know anything about the subject at all. I think my response illustrated that there is a possibility that by doing what I do I may not be as uneducated as you assume, I may have watched more than one episode of 'Airport' or seen too many James Bond films, equally I might not.

I am however concerned and perhaps somewhat flattered that you have bothered to do so much research about me. What is worrying, at least to me, is that the jumps to conclusions you make following a brief post have not been followed up by a logical joining of the dots following the possibly more in depth research you have done; the answers are all there in plain sight...waiting to be seen.

I think there is a point there.. one I made earlier in my offer to you...if all it takes to fly a plane is a bit of 'user' experience then there is no reason why I should not do your job, or for you to do mine...however as we both know it takes more than that..it takes a lot of challenging training and a certain mental approach to the task in hand. So whilst you have the skills, knowledge and the mindset to be a pilot (I'm assuming you are ); I have the equivalent level of skill, knowledge and the mindset to do what I do... and to dismiss either one as being ignorant, nonsensical, unreal or anything else is merely a demonstration of one's own lack of knowledge of what the other really does...an unedifing position to be in I hope you will agree.

Happy flying.