PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Training
Thread: PPL Training
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2006, 15:31
SD.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by S-crew'd
Could somebody explain the main differences between the JAA \ FAA PPL?
I know a FAA is easier to maintain in the long run however is there any major difference in the training you receive?
From someone who teaches both JAA and FAA I can give you an insight.

In the air, the test standards are comparable for all of the manouvers. Both teach stalls (although some variants), slow flight, steep turns etc and the general handling is pretty much the same.

The JAA have the 'Precautionary Search and Landing' excerise, where as the FAA don't cover this. They do however teach ground reference manouvers, 'Turns around a point' and 's-turns'. Either way you should be taught to a good standard which ever route you take.

Now the theory. JAA have you complete 7 ground exams and in my experience this is where many students start to panic. 21 days is a very short amount of time to learn and pass these exams with a good understanding. You can bash the Confuser and get through the exams, but I doubt you'll really know the stuff inside and out.

The FAA require you to pass 1 written exam. The exam is from a database of approx. 1000 questions of which you'll be asked 60 IIRC. The full database is published and again, you can just learn the answers to get through the exam. But, and this is where many FAA students fail, you need to get past the Oral portion of the check ride/skills test.

The JAA skills test consists of you planning a small NavEx, normally overhead one airport or check point and then onto your final destination. Once the flight plan has been compiled you'll have a brief. he may ask you a few question regarding the route and about the aircraft you'll be using. After departure, at some point along the route the examiner will divert you to an alternative destination. If you get there you'll then move onto the handlng section and then some touch and goes either at your home base or away at another field.

The FAA check ride is very similar and the format is almost identical with the NaveEx & diversion and then onto the handling section. Before you even get anywhere near the aircraft you'll have to pass the oral section. You will need to know indepth about weather, the FAR's (the FAA reg's), aircraft systems, airspace, human performance. He'll talk to you about your flight plan, ask questions about the charts, the route itself and you'll need to know pretty much everything there is to know about the charts. If you don't know your stuff and babble or bull****, he'll discontinue the check ride there and then.

As an instructor, I can get you through the flying section in 21 days. It'll be tough on you, but it's certainly do-able. It then comes down to the individual to learn the theory, with assistance from his/her instructor. I'd recommend to pass the exams (or at least be ready to sit the exam/s) before arriving in the states.

Personally I'd allow 28 days and not 21.

Good Luck