PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - time to 1st solo rotary
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2006, 08:16
Needlesplit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Two's in
"I could teach your Granny to fly if I had a year, but I don't; I have 10 hours to get you solo, so buck your ideas up!" Just illustrating the point that if you don't make the required progress, you are chopped. Simply a function of time and hence money
Its often forgotton, or perhaps not even known, what a gulf there is between the two. The key to military flying is selection for an ultimate role. If you cant solo, or indeed do any other manoevre or process, you are no good to them and they are ALWAYS thinking "If you can't even do this you definitely wont be able to cope with whats next!"

Its push push push because everyone is on a time scale and right behind the current seemingly impossible task is another even bigger one, leading eventually to you being able to position the gun exactly where and when the boss wants it.

However, anyone who decides to put aside their time and money, learn when they can afford it and read aerodynamics books etc around work, home, kids and dogs deserves just as much praise as a 20 year old with no external responsibilities and a full time, all expenses paid course at Betty Windsors Close Formation Flying Club.

Afterwards, its all down to maintaining standards and staying safe. This, of course, is an area where it is many times more difficult for an occasional flyer, they need to have huge amounts of discipline to remember it all and not just turn up and fly 'because its saturday'.