PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 19th Sep 2006, 21:31
planecrazy.eu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say "Yes" is does matter what A'Levels you take.

No matter what, or who says to you it doesnt matter, its does. All my college tutors say, nah it doesnt matter, pick what your good at. Its all rubbish and thats why i am taking my A'Levels again at 22.

If you apply to an Airline training scheme, they all ask for 2-3 A'Levels, they normally want Maths and Physics.

I came unstuck when i applied to CTC, they said no, so did FTE and OAT and Cabair with there airline schemes. Having the wrong A'Levels does however leave normal integrated training open.

Cabair would take me for a normal integrated scheme, but not for the FlyBE scheme, get that?

I am studying at Uni too, must admit, its not all its cracked up to be, i think when i have my A'Levels i will leave my degree and train with an airline scheme if there are any...

Degrees are not a waste of time, as if you loose your wings, you have a fall back plan/career. But i cant bare the thought of sitting for another three years in lectures when the job i want is sitting there, well more or less. I plan to do part time study to finish my degree of, takes 4-8 years to do, but if all goes well, in that time i wont need to call on it.

Also, i have figured my degree will cost around 9k per year, 9 x 3 is 27k, thats 50% of the fee for OAT give or take a few K.

Another thing is, an ATPL is a pro qualification right? I have a friend who is an Accountant, did no degree, but did his CIMA. He told me that the CIMA is regarded as higher than an accountancy degree, so the way i look at it, the ATPL should be seen as higher than a degree.