PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Federation (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2006, 20:30
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by allan907
Chugalug I did not say that the CoC should be a popularity contest.
...- and if any new system decides that they have to account for those decisions (by dealing with a BAFF) then it will winkle out the bullsh*tters who are merely trying to cover their backside while sucking up to their superiors. Conversely it will aid the 'good' guys in that, hopefully, the masses will be able to see the reasoning behind the crap decisions.
No A907, you didn't say that, but I implied that your 'new' system could result in a tendency to try to be popular. If any decision made was liable to 'review' by BAFF, officers who had made ones declared to be unpopular or 'deleterious' would find themselves abandoned by the CoC to 'account' for them on their own. So the answer would be to make no decisions, or constantly defer them, ie a paralysis of command. Of course the power of BAFF would rise accordingly as it felt obliged to fill the vacuum resulting from this paralysis. A CoC that doesn't command and 'workers representatives' who increasingly take over more and more of the day to day running of the operation. In next to no time the British Armed Forces could stand proudly by the other commanding heights of the Nationalised Industries that were named British (Rail, Transport, Steel, Gas, Telecom etc). Well include me out, and I suspect any one else that discovered that their career in them could be subject to formal assessment by ones subordinates and superiors alike. I've said it before, if it's broke, fix it. Anything that has been done can be undone, or changed. The powers taken away from local commanders should be reinstated. The British Armed Forces are disciplined services, or are supposed to be. If you don't like discipline, get out, if you can't command, get out, and for God's sake CAS fix it!