PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britain's Pilots Call For Seven New Security Steps
Old 19th Sep 2006, 19:53
NutLoose

Received 2,944 Likes on 1,254 Posts
Ahh the lunatics are taking over the asylum.. Your statement is so crass

"Until such time when everyone else going to work is intending to take control of an aircraft then yes, pilots should be treated differently".

You are a pilot simply that, you are no less important in the chain of things than anyone else, from the cleaners, to ATC, to the Engineers that ensure the thing gets you there safely.... These people have to put up with security checks many, many more times a day just to try and function, you if you are on long haul have to suffer it what? twice a day?........

"I am a Pilot let me" through does not do anything to enhance safety, it simply puts holes in it... you can never make anywhere 100% fool proof, but have a thought to the rest of the long suffering people involved, including the likes of the security who having had this system forced upon them are just trying to do the best they can..... Sometimes some of the comments the likes of that beggar belief....................... who next? after all you have already started the ball rolling "I am an Engineer let me through", "I am a Cleaner let me through"........... Perhaps the next Bomb Happy Chappy should Buy an Ex Uniform off Ebay and walk through whilst making it clear he is a Pilot?

I can see many a Glaring faults where I work, you do not need to even get airborne to make a big dent in the 9 o'clock news, and ways you could cause more death and destruction involving Aircraft, none of which I intend too discuss

I totally agree with the first post on here, The only thing I can say though is whilst a central international biometric security pass system may sound a good idea, nothing is forger proof and once that has been cracked and it will........ you now have a system that works in their favour, not yours....
Also, you may be able to guarantee the safety and checks on such cards being issued in the UK, Europe and the USA etc, but what of some of the third world countries where you might be able to get one for a wad of cash? or are you then going to have a 2 tier system? that then negates one of the advantages of having it.

A similar thing is the National ID Card.. I carried an ID card in the Military, but the moment a single card is forged the whole misthought system collapses, instead of protecting us it protects the people you are seeking.
On that subject the London Underground Bombers would also of been elligable for a National ID so that sort of just makes the point, that it can be used to protect both sides of the fence.

Last edited by NutLoose; 19th Sep 2006 at 20:42.