PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - time to 1st solo rotary
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2006, 17:09
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect the type of helicopter makes a difference too. I really don't see how anyone can be ready for solo in 8 hours in the non-forgiving R22.

The numbers just don't add up. As I teach it....

First half hour - trial lesson - OK, we could dispense with that.

So...

Ist hour - Ex 4, Effects of Controls. Important to really go over that, even for a natural who can handle them. Minimum half an hour to show them everything. Spend next half hour hovering, and the real natural manages it on all three controls, say.

2nd hour - Ex 5 - Speed and Power changes. Also half an hour minimum, just to demonstrate everything. Rest of time spent hovering; brilliant student is now managing take-offs and landings.

3rd hour - Ex 6. He/she just about manages straight and level, climbing, descending , turning, in an hour. Never seen it done, but...maybe.

4th hour - Finish off hovering, takeoffs and landings, engine failure in hover, spot turns.

5th Hour - Ex 7 - Autos.

6th hour - Ex 10. Transitions.

7th and 8th hours - Circuits, including all emergencies.

9th hour - Engine off landings - necessary; they need to stand a chance of making it should the worst happen.

10th hour - 1st solo.

I can't imagine even that being possible, but maybe, just. But how on earth do you do it in less time?