PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Baron 55 or Seneca 2
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2006, 15:45
jumbodrvr7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surprised nobody has said much about the Baron. I have experience flying Baron 55s in Africa on Charters, but cannot compare to the Seneca, nor can I give an owners perspective!

If you are looking at the Baron 55 you should ignore the A or B. These have 260hp IO 470s and a short nose and are really 4 seaters as it is difficult to load 6 adults and stay in CG range.

The C, D, and E 55s however are excellent 6 seaters from the pilots view. They Have 285hp IO 520s, no turbo to worry about, just raw power. Longer nose makes loading easier. I would not like to quote field length numbers but will just say that operating from typical bush runways of about 7-800m and altitudes up to 6000 I never had any problems at all. I agree with the comment that it can go anywhere a 206 will. Single engine performance is good up to about 5000 ft.

Quality? I have flown pipers and you cannot compare. Its like Merc S class versus Nissan Sunny. Expensive yes but you get what you pay for.

Now for the down side. It is not very comfy for pax. Reaching the rear seats is difficult and there is not much room. Also barons suffer a bit from damage to the flaps caused by stones on rough runways.

The 58 sorts out the comfort problem quite well but I assume it is a bit pricey for you.

Good luck!