PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi-crew Pilots Licence (formerly: South African Airway's plan to get co-pilots)
Old 18th Sep 2006, 20:24
Flash0710

Mess Your Passage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really do not want to waste a year of my life to do the quite frankly pointless ATPL.

The stuff you are required to learn is superfluous to day to day big bus driving.

An entire shake up of the whole process should be called for.
In the anologue days when you had to be a real pilot lots of it was relevant, and pilot knowledge was genuinely needed and used as a highlighted safety issue to calm passengers.
Now pretty much everyone knows how computer reliant modern airliners are, to the point where an imput by an up to date sytems operator cant even exceed a certain angle of bank without the computer relinquishing control.

Handflying in some airlines is now actively discouraged so where is the real skill?

Management that is all it is.

I realise that some of the responses here are from people who have fully been through the mill as far as training goes and would hate to see someone next to them who has done half if not a quarter of the training that they have done. The truth is how many of you really remember everything you learnt? I for one would want to kill if i wasted said year and a: got hit by a bus and b: the syllabus changed.

Go for it SAA start the wave..

It has always amazed me the lengths people will go to, to fly for an airline. Just the other day i drove past a ryr hostie waiting for a bus. I thought " My god you have paid for your training and uniform. Pilots starting at 5 in the morning and late finishes with no perks. There is just no appeal and most of them just seem to take it. It will go one of two ways. Pay cuts or reduced requirements for experience.

We all hold the keys to the future of aviation.

Something will give soon

rgds
f