PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM AIRPORT - 2
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2006, 19:42
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DTVAirport
Ironically, I'm using a bmibaby example here, but bmibaby has hubs at BHX and EMA, so why can't Jet2.com have hubs at NCL and MME?
Why don't you simply extend your argument a little further and note that BA has hubs at LHR & LGW
As can be seen it is totally irrelevant insofar as the situation that exists some 250+ miles 'up the road'.
Possibly bmibaby failed as it realised that it was extremely difficult to go 'head to head' even on the most popular volume routes that are already established a little further still 'up the road'. Maybe this is a reason why destinations like Knock? were tried
Most of the arguments & criticism of Bmibaby that I have seen on this site appertain to their manner of affecting a withdrawal, which I agree seem deplorable .
However the discussion ongoing as to whether they were profitable has at times been far too 'shallow'. For most business that I deal with, decisions are not based on historic events but much more on future projections. Bmibaby clearly have access to highly advanced forecasting models and market research and for whatever reason the parameters that they identified that they would have to operate within, whether landing fees, pax no.'s or whatever did not add up. It would thus have been a combination of any number of factors that precipitated their decision and once made they must have felt that there was no point in procastinating and a structured withdrawal would have only created more bad feeling & further losses (or less profit for those that don't see it).