PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM AIRPORT - 2
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2006, 17:39
MME4eva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well if the refusal by MME with regards to landing fees is true then i applaud DTV airport authority!!

Odd I know to applaud losing business but I really do think it is a two way relationship and since they arrived WW have taken the !!

1. Given the 'freedom of DTV' with regards to competitors being refused to base operations...source: credible insider from MME

2. Subsidised landing fees (at least initially and probably still a lot cheaper compared to other regionals e.g. EMA and LBA)

3. Infrequent and poorly timetabled destinations with apparant little consulation with DTV airport authority (e.g. BFS and forever changing the times on the CDG run meaning businessmen were driven to NCL and LBA)

4. Dropping profitable routes (e.g. PRG) and introducing 'dubious' routes with little need (e.g. NOC)

5. Treating passengers poorly (well documented flight to JER that took several days to be rectified and various personal stories from friends and relatives of planes going tech either at MME or downroute particularly when my relatives were stuck there for 48hrs which ended up with a nightime coach trip from EMA back to MME)

6. Poor punctuality (a simple look at 'arrivals' most days on ceefax confirms how WW are usually late incoming)

so...after a few days to let the news soak in the words 'blessing in disguise' spring to mind!!

The future? Personally I would like to see operations spread out more evenly over several operators even if it would mean W patterns from Girona, Stockholm etc which alongside operators such as Wizz and perhaps Air Berlin as a possible outsider?