PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eddie Stobart Air
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2006, 17:14
cessna l plate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigt
[quote

70 of the 845 trucks operated by Stobarts are registered in Belgium to service some of the european contracts they operate.
So pushing 10% of the fleet then. Even small numbers like this, I understand why, and don't have a great problem with trucks being registered abroad, as the UK haulage industry is taxed to death and regulated even further, whilst our european neighbours are free to send every bag of bolts held together by rust that they like!!!!!

As I said, I don't profess to be an expert on Stobart operations, I can just echo the sentiments that the UK haulage industry hold about that operator. As I said, Stobart are the Ryanair of the haulage world, they make money and everyone hates them for doing it!!

I have to admit that there is a masive tourist industry in the Lake District, in general made up of Americans and other nationals, as well as UK tourists. But what investment would be needed at Carlisle airport to enable trans atlantic ops? Probably more than the Stobarts want to pay. Whilst commuter flights from the regions, and even near Europe would help the local economy, and I am not about to put anywhere down at all, and indeed the Lake District is a fantastic place to visit, but in the harsh world of business I doubt that any investment to bring Carslisle upto an airline operation standard wold be re-couped by landing fees within a reasonable time frame. Although it would do wonders for the local tourist industry, the Stobarts, other than perhaps bringing goods to the local shops to sell, would not get a significant cut of the revenue it would generate to justify the expenditure needed.

Freight on the other hand, if managed in the right way from the start could be a viable option.

I am simply mindful of Sheffield City Airport. Built to take a hold of a niche market, perhaps in the wrong place really, but with the greatest intentions to turn it into a commuter hub for the local population. Never "took off" (pardon the pun) and those of us that fly there are simply waiting for Peel to close it.

Carslisle is a splendid GA field, with the best scenery this country has to offer en route. I would hate to see it spoiled, and then turned into a retail park 5 years down the line in a vain attempt to recoup the lost investment.