PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vmid a new call-out speed on TO and Landings
Old 18th Sep 2006, 09:06
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

The idea of some sort of 'takeoff performance monitoring' device has been discussed and experimented with for decades but we still don't seem to have such a thing in commercial aviation. (There are products like EFB but they only provide a partial solution.) I have reached the stage where I believe that there are no significant technical obstacles to the introduction of a monitor like this and every year it is delayed, we lose more aircraft. I can only deduce that it is something to do with the perceived cost but preventing a hull loss would pay for a lot of TPMs...

As I see it, there are a handful of nasty 'gotchas' when trying to leave the ground:

Using the wrong runway.
Using the wrong part of the right runway.
Using a parallel taxiway instead of the runway.
Using a power/flap setting inappropriate for the takeoff distance available and/or the aeroplane mass.

These are not the only ones - I'm sure there are others but these seem to be the mistakes which usually cause a serious accident.

Compared with the scenarios that other warning systems protect us against, detecting the first three items is fairly trivial; the last would need some work but again, there is not an extreme level of complexity here. The software required to make EGPWS and TCAS operate in the manner that they do took, I suggest, much more R&D to produce than that needed to solve the problems listed above. After all, we are comparing one- or two-dimensional problems to some in three and more.

A GPS driven FMC from the last decade or so already has most of the information required by a TPM: runway endpoints, track, groundspeed, mass, position, etc. In a simple implementation you could program it to set off the config. warning when triggered; a look-ahead system could warn you before you even attempt something dangerous.

I am disappointed that the regulatory bodies have not mandated the installation and use of such systems, much in the way they did with TCAS. I wonder how many more accidents/incidents it needs?