PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod plane crash in Afghanistan - Condolences thread (no tech or update info)
Old 18th Sep 2006, 08:55
James_C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hadn't thought of looking here, but my girlfriend found this thread and here I am.

I had known Cpl Oliver Dicketts my whole life. We grew up together in the same village, and as a boy he always had the best toy guns. Suffice to say, we were close. Losing him in this tragic incident has been quite a shocker, and if I'm honest, I'm not taking it too well.

I'm comforted to see that others on here, who knew the victims personally, are also feeling the same. I share your grief, and take comfort from all the best wishes from members of this forum, and the others I have seen.

His parents asked me to go with them to Kinloss last week for the repatriation ceremony. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, and I feel strongly for those of you that have had to go through this more than once.

As there seem to be so many of you here, I'd like to say a heartfelt thank you to all the staff and families at RAF Kinloss for their hospitality and warm welcome. In particular, special thanks to the RAF staff specifically assigned to look after Oliver's and Joseph's friends and family; the catering and mess staff for the refreshments and food, not to mention the whisky; to the Gp Captain that put the event together, and to the staff that took us to the Chapel of Rest. Last but not least, the pilots of the C17 that brought our friends home.

Also, to HRH The Duke of Endinburgh, thank you for coming to talk with us. You didn't have to, but I appreciate that you did, for your attention, and respect. How Oliver would have laughed to see you salute his coffin - thank you.

If there are any other relevant threads to talk to others on here, please would someone post links - I would be most grateful.

James