PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Federation (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2006, 07:45
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
While I favour the idea of non CoC representation - worked for me - I wonder if it would actually be what people here hope it would be?

Lord Garden's statement might be the rub. Would it be one federation for all ranks and all three services? Would the Officers be comfortable having their issues addressed by a Men's Association?

There are models out here that seem to suggest that one size does not fit all. The Police have a Federation but the Chief Constables have another.

The Civil Service has two trades unions but the senior civil service has another and Retired Officers yet another.

Maybe what is needed is not one federation but several. Naturally the Officers' Association would carry more weight (brass) but be numerically smaller than the Mens (run by NAAFI?). The Army Representative would naturally expect more say than his dark blue colleague. Would they speak the same language even?

Who would pay and how much? Dues of £10 per month and a critical mass would be necessary to recruit and operate an full-time, professional body and pay for premises.

One federation might achieve critical mass but might not please everyone. Several organisations might please more people, and cost more, but would this then allow Sir Humphrey to divide and rule?