PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi-crew Pilots Licence (formerly: South African Airway's plan to get co-pilots)
Old 18th Sep 2006, 01:14
GaryGnu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10Hrs PIC?

What about when the MPL holder wants to convert to an ATPL and become a Captain?

My interpretation of amendment 167 to ICAO Annex 1 says that an MPL holder needs a minimum 10 hrs PIC. Depending on how National Authorities allow the use of Pilot-In-Command under supervision (PICUS), an MPL holder can avoid the requirement of any further Command time (previously 100 hrs, now 70hrs) PIC for an ATPL by accruing 500hrs PICUS from the Right Seat of a multi crew aeroplane.

Thus an ATPL holder that converted from an MPL could conceivably have 10 hrs PIC and the rest under instruction, Co-Pilot or PICUS.

Is my interpretation of ATPL holders having only 10 hrs PIC incorrect or unlikely? If it is correct, does it matter? Can the airline training organisations handle such a reduction in command requirements for ATPL holders?

For those who cannot access ICAO documents I believe its requirements are mirrored in JAR NPA-FCL 31 particularly Para JAR-FCL 1.280.