Slopey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tangovictor
I often wonder, about 2 potential problems with learning to fly in the US
1, just susposing you have bad weather there ( it happens ) and you run out
of your holiday time ?
2, have you ever checked with a UK operator, if your US jaa licence is ok for
you, to hire an aircraft from them ?
I read all the positive peoples threads, not many, have swallowed there pride and told of the problems involved, or extra expense.
if your going to fly in the UK, learn in the UK

1) crappy weather happens everywhere, but if youre going to florida, it's advisable to add at least an extra week just in case. If the weather turns out fine you can use the extra time hour building - cheaply! After sitting looking at crappy Wx for 6 months, 1 bad week out of 5 was nothing!

2) a JAA PPL(A) will be fine - they'll want to check you out, but all clubs will want to check you out before you hire. Shouldn't be a problem, most of the people I was at OBA was with did 1/2 hours back in the UK and were ok to hire. I myself did 4 but that's due to a high instructor turnover at the school I went back to.

"I read all the positive peoples threads, not many, have swallowed there pride and told of the problems involved, or extra expense."

Possibly because there haven't been any problems? Extra expense? I spent £500 more than intended on beers/food/a few extra hours. All in, it cost me £5k to get my PPL at OBA, opposed to an estimated £10k in Aberdeen.

"if your going to fly in the UK, learn in the UK"

Not necessarily - it's cheaper and dare I say more fun in the USofA. Their attitude to GA and the facilities availiable are great. That being said it's like anything else - you need to have a healthy respect for the weather, your abilities and the aircraft. And it's good practice to get some time in in your local area with someone who knows it - but that's the same regardless.