PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Federation (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2006, 15:26
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
OK Jess, a long and depressing list, and no doubt just the tip of the iceberg! So BAFF is going to happen, you may well be right, but what difference will that make to the depressing scenario that you paint? If it was a conventional union it could use the threat of industrial action to 'persuade' management of the efficacy of its arguments. But it isn't, so it can't! It will become a talking shop, and boy can Sir Humphrey and his chums talk! You imply that there once was an answer to such problems, the Chain of Command that existed in my time, and I agree. You have to reform the existing system to re-empower the CoC. The armed forces are not M&S, with munitions, they are disciplined services subject to military law and the Chain of Command. Tamper with that and the genie comes out of the bottle, as I suspect is now happening. The crux of the matter, as I see, it is that the CoC has to work, not just to pay, house and feed you, but to win wars, which seem to be multiplying around us! I don't say that going back in time is the answer, but see how it worked then, and use that to make it work now. You don't want BAFF you want BOFs!Commanders must lead, that means going out on a limb, taking a chance, risking your career. Not the quiet life you expected? Then get out now before you are pushed. We are at war and there is no room for passengers!