PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about training/funding
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2006, 11:24
nicksmalley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
viggi_pilot,

Sounds like you're in a very similar situation to me right now. So to pass on what I've found out so far:

1) HSBC will offer a loan of up to £60K assuming that you are going to attend a full time integrated course. The £60K covers the cost of the course (usually £49K to £55K) plus gives you a little extra for accomodation/living expenses for the year it takes to do the course. This money is given under the Professional Studies Loan system. So you start paying it back 6 months after the course has finished which is quite helpful. A typical repayment schedule for £60K is 9 years. This means the monthly payments are approximately £800 making the total amount payable £89Kish. There are some arrangement fees as well.

2) Obviously not many places offer the courses - you're essentially looking at Oxford (OAT) and Cabair (Cranfield). Once you've been assessed and given a place at the school, you can apply for the dosh.

3) Everyone will tell you that you are crazy to do it. I'm not going to make that judgement. Think carefully, do the maths on how this financial burden will impact you, go for a helicopter lesson to make sure you like it, speak to as many pilots as possible. If after all the research and soul searching, your gut still tells you to go for it, then go for it.

4) Just make sure you realise that the piece of paper that Cranfield/Oxford give you at the end of the course doesn't mean a job. But, activity is high right now. Chatting to a Canadian school, the CFI said its the best time in 30 years to get a job. I live in Aberdeen and the North Sea is possibly busier than it has ever been. However, the point I'm trying to make is that its risky.

5) Consider training abroad. HAI in the States or somewhere in Australia. Both places offer well respected licences. Just be wary of getting an FAA CPL(H). Bare in mind, this may result in conversion when returning to the UK to work.

Hope this information helps. Email me at [email protected] if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Nick