PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas pilots refuse shoe security check
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2006, 03:14
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never grumble at security...I have it down to a fine art...and my shoes are of the non laces variety for that reason...however how can the current security screening, that you think is so wonderfull, have ANY impact on.
As far as MA’s suggestion goes ,it does nothing to stop someone who has flown for years, is well known by a lot of crew but for whatever reason is converted to another religion and is convinced that he is doing the right thing by his new god to make an example of the attacks on his faith.
The answer is it cannot...NO airport screening can. So as mentioned above aircrew screening as it is currently practiced is a waste of resources.

Resources that could be better spent on the type of security lapses being perpetrated by baggage handlers....remind me again how many individuals in this area have been found to have connections with terrorist organisations?

I can think of one at Sydney and one at Heathrow just in the last 6 mths. 2 in 6 mths as opposed to how many tech/cabin crew members ever? ZERO!

But now we are seeing the Yanks and MMW suggesting that frequent fliers can get the equivalent of an ASIC card and be fast tracked past all the BS.

But aircrew who already have an ASIC card must be subjected to what is patently ineffective screening.

How many frequent fliers are already connected to terrorist groups but have no record and have yet to be called to action...how long would it take one to qualify for the pax 'ASIC'?

And even if a handfull of these nutters makes it on board with evil intent what are they going to do to defeat several hundred passengers fighting for their lives and the cockpit security door?

If all they want to do is blow something up they can do so with a stinger missile from outside the airfield boundary...clean and easy.