PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vmid a new call-out speed on TO and Landings
Old 16th Sep 2006, 16:26
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this concept has been explored and discussed before...there is some validity in it.

but the $ or the POUND STERLING or whatever seems to bother us all.

runway remaining signage is a darn good idea, on the side of the runway or painted on the runway with a big picture of GW Bush( that would scare the hell out of anyone))

some airports have signs, military airfields do.

there is something I tell my flight attendent friends who aren't in a position to see the takeoff...the estimated time to rotation is about 30 seconds in most jets...longer at high hot airports or with full pax and fuel, shorter at cold low airports with light pax loads. perhaps a simple timer beeping at 17 seconds or so might help the pilot, perhaps it would be a distraction.

perhaps for too long we judge acceleration by the seat of our pants?

80 knots is a callout now at some airlines...are things going well at 80?...keep going...something not right...NOW is the time to get it squared away or abort.

we also use something called MIN V1, but that is a whole other ball of wax...it allows a better abort option and encourages a GO.

a good idea worth expanding on...but $ and idiots in the FAA and others such places along with backward thinking management will doom this idea(though I hope not)

j