PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - LGW
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2006, 09:13
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nobody knows what money is going to look like once we start the longhaul routes. But three facts are true at this point:

- At the moment crew have more days off since we have a LOT of new crew, needed for the new single fleet. Once the single fleet is up and running, we'll start working much more again. For once though I really enjoyed having 15 regular days off rostered in June!!!

- If you're interested in a career in BA LGW is definitely the place to be. I became a purser 18 months after joining. Not bad, I think. They value your previous experience and the money has gone up accordingly. My friend at LHR has just become a purser after 8 years of service.

- our long haul trips will be for a minimum of 3 days to a maximum of 5 (at the moment that's what is planned). Means more money anyway.

Last but not least, I would love to earn a bit more, however I chose LGW for other reasons. If money is ALL you're interested in, then please do go to LHR. LGW crew (pilots included) have something unique, there's a sense of complicity that you won't find in any other fleet. I will always remember what one of my friends said to me before I joined LGW: "I had a ball at LGW and if it wasn't that my wife is expecting triplets (!!) I would have stayed. but we need the extra money". He was so right!

By the way, on the latest issue of cabin crew news they are talking about changing the EF service from LHR too, and reduce the cabin crew complement "accordingly". It won't be long till things change at LHR, to be consistent with LGW. It's just the painful truth of trying to compete in a very agressive industry.
LHR is going to be over-crewed in the near future so I do not foresee any recruitment into LHR any time soon (MAN closure and WWLGW crew secondments should last for a while).

Good luck anyway.

FBW

PS: to all of you who are staying, welcome onboard!!!