PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slot times and Stars in Darwin
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2006, 21:32
IMHFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PRIORITIES

That list of priorities only applies after the original list (read the "notwihtstanding notwithstanding" sentence for clarity!!!) applies. Basically the sequence is set and adjusted using knowns, probabilities, commonsense and mutual (shared ) inconvenience only if absolutely necessary.

SLOT TIMES

That is why I thought slot times only apply to fast movers who can make minute adjustments over hundreds of miles but get a guarantee of a landing without further inconvenience/ATC intevention. The lighties then fit in around these aircraft or use crossing runway/s. That was how it was meant to work. Clearly some operators will abuse the system of slots for all. Don't do it - it's dopey and will not work. Keep it simple, set it up early as poss for the fast/big guys and work the small stuff to fit.

VISUAL APPROACH

If I call visual I want a visual approach. If I want an instrument appoach I will not say visual and will not expect to be asked if I am visual (just like I don't need to be asked to report when ready). For IFR an instrument approach is the default and an entitlement regardless of the weather conditions. If I want a visual approach and am too dopey to work out that I need to say visual to get out of ATC/AIP terrain clearance protection then I deserved to be processed via an approach.Yes a visual approach can be assigned at any time and an aircraft doesn't need to trip over 30 miles for that (particularly at night).